Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Inish Oirr

There is only one visit of the ferry, per day, it seems,
so I had to look the island over within the space of
three hours. I began with a romantic-looking cemetery
near an airfield.

You can see the northern leg of Cliffs of Moher
in the distance.

That's where I found St. Cavan's. It was a full-fledged
church for hundreds of years, but now the sand keeps
filling it in, over the winter...and every year the locals
clear it out for a summer festival.




Then I went walking down a twisting trail, just to see
where it lead me. I passed all these "small-holding"
farms and pastures, each marked off with fences built
of rocks laid atop each other and no mortar to seal them.


At the trail's end, I found another view of the Moher
Cliffs -- their southern leg. A tiny lighthouse seemed
to watch them with as much wonder as I did.

No comments: