Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Prioritizing...

The script I planned to work on, "Marked For Death", has been getting the shaft this month due to everything else that keeps coming up. I planned to have a first draft done by the end of October, but I haven't really been able to focus on finding the second half of the story. Ideas come up but just sit there, not exciting enough for me to pursue. And now I'm off to Seattle for 4 days so I won't be able to even really think about this script until the 15th. Which isn't right; it's a solid story with a great lead for a teen actor like Zack Ephron or Shia LeBeouf (I know they're in their 20's, but they play kids and act like kids, so why not use them as kids?) I want to get it done and out for sale.

I finally did figure out the story's about lies -- the lies people tell to hide their culpability in a crime, lies used to hide and/or discover the truth, lies used to protect and/or comfort, lies used to pursue the cause of justice, lies told to one's self to justify actions that aren't justifiable. So far Chris, my lead, is the only one who does not tell lies in any way, form or fashion...which wasn't a conscious decision on my part; he just built himself that way and waited for me to catch on. So now I know my theme...all I need is a kick-ass finish since I know how everyone winds up.

Oh, well...at least I can let the story percolate while earning my living.

No comments: