Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's coming along

I did a quick read through the Burntollet section of "A Place of Safety" and feel I've skimmed over some bits and dwelt too long on others, but overall everything's in place. Then I got Brendan to the chaos of Altangelvin Hospital, the biggest and closest of only two hospitals in Derry, and he's waiting for his mother and priest to show up while parked under the hostile eye of a registry clerk. I need to do more research here to verify what I'm writing but I'm not letting details stop me. The emotional truth of the moment is working too well.

I'm finding doing 2000-2500 words per day is best for me; above that and I get sloppy and have to redo it, anyway, while below that I feel like I'm accomplishing too little. And considering I still have the Celebration Fleadh and Bloody Sunday to go through in this section, as well as completing the opening chapter and the lead up to what sends Brendan to Houston, it's going to be a push to even get close to my goal.

I got the last revisions done on the storyboards and now have two side boards to make, without narration...but not till the main people sign off on this set. Man, me and typos. That got to be the worst aspect of the last revision. Soon as I thought I'd found them all, somebody'd catch another one. I finally read the whole thing backwards, word for word...and still missed one more -- "shcool." Jesus, I must be dyslexic. Too bad PhotoShop doesn't have spellcheck.

Looks like that money I thought would be coming my way isn't going to...at least, not for some time. So any trips to do research will have to wait a while. I'd rather not go during high season in Ireland, but it's going to take a while to get this book in order, anyway, so I guess I can wait.

I'd rather not.

No comments: