Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Busy day



I started pulling together info for the Seattle Book Fair in September, so here's an image I snapped last year, when I hopped up there from San Antonio to help load the fair out and reconfigure the skids of books to be shipped back to their owners. The exhibition hall is in the same complex as the Space Needle.

I almost want to start talking about my job...but it is NOT what this site is about and I don't want to get into the near habit I started when I was beginning this blog -- that of whining about my daily life. I'd rather whine about my daily writing. Makes for more interest than the usual "Oh, how hard my life is." Hell, that sentence bores even me. I will say next week looks like it'll be getting crazy, so blogging may be consistently late in the evening. 'Nuff said about that.

I worked up a brief blurb for the back of the book and the Amazon page --

Antony wanted to build a new life and let go of his past, but then he was dragged into a vicious conspiracy of rape, murder and shifting allegiances that threatened to destroy both him and his beloved Jake.

It's a bit too one-liner-Hollywoodish for me, right now, so I'm working on it some more...but it's a start. I don't think I'll do a synopsis. The story is too twisty and turny to be condensed into anything that makes sense. What's funny is, watching "The Big Sleep" actually did set my brain in the direction of a murder mystery involving Antony and Jake, but told from Jake's POV, this time. I think his steadiness would work beautifully in that framework. It's just the first splitting of the seed within and I have no idea if what will come out is a bush of roses, vine of tomatoes or a hell of a lot of okra (which I hate). Maybe I'll wind up with nothing but weeds. That's half the fun...figuring out what the hell it is you're growing.

2 comments:

Brad Rushing said...

Talk about your job! The headline for the site says: "Contemplations and complaints on writing...and life." So whine all you want! You're interesting. :D

JamTheCat said...

Thanks, but it's better to stay that way than get tedious.