Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

I love sleeping in

I worked on DL, last night, till almost midnight so kicked back and didn't get up till after 10, this morning. The story wasn't as hard on me, this time around...and I'm afraid that means I'm diminishing it. I'm doing some more work today -- clarifying aspects I thought of as I was getting ready for bed and finally doing some research to verify what I've put in the story. I'm working off memory a lot, here.

It's not often I jump into a story and just write it before researching the hell out of it, but I pretty much did that this time. All I did beforehand was pull up a map of El Paso to locate things and found a site for Biggs Air Force Base (it's part of Fort Bliss, now). Problem is, the map said some of my memory must be off and I tried to follow it...but it's not right. The reality of what Google says and the fogginess of my brain are in direct contradiction, and I'm more prone to trust brain than fact, right now...even though I last lived in the area 45 years ago.

I did pull up a satellite image of the area via Google, today...and it seems to support my memory. Now I just need to find the middle school I attended, and if that lines up -- screw today's facts and all hail yesterday's truth.

Tomorrow I'm off to New York City to help the load out of the NY Book Fair -- which means I get to see a lot of JFK and a warehouse in the area, with no time to tour the city since I'm schduled to return Monday evening. Ah...the glamorous life of a jet setter.

Just came across this quote and it fits so perfectly, I have to add it in --

One of the most difficult things to do is to
paint darkness which nonetheless has light in it.

-- Vincent van Gogh

This is "Desert Land."

No comments: