Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, November 1, 2010

NaNoWriMo rides again

It's officially starting in 14 minutes, though I won't even begin writing till I'm back from my second trip to Toronto in a week. And even then I may not. It all depends on how long this jaunt takes and how nasty traffic is on the return. Be that as it may...I'm going to blast through this book as fast as I can. No thinking. No worrying about if it's funny enough. None of that crap. I want it done and over and space made available to return to POS...and maybe add some humor to Brendan's life.

I read "Once and Future King" back when I was in college and loved it. It's about King Arthur -- his youth (part 1 of the book was used for Disney's "The Sword in the Stone"), then becoming king and his betrayal. That book starts out young and fun and hopeful then, as Arthur grows older and wiser, becomes darker and darker. It's a brilliant work and I strongly recommend it to anyone who loves the Arthurian Legends.

Reason I mention that book?  One of the reviewers for "Bobby Carapisi" reminded me of how, even in his starkest of tragedies Shakespeare put in some humor. The audience needs it for relief against the growing horror of what's happening. I didn't do that with BC 1&2,though I did try to add some to BC 3.

Of course, humor's not my strong suit, I have to admit, but then again, I wrote a pretty damned funny script about a cop's mind being switched with his less-than-beloved mother-in-law's on the eve of him making a big arrest and her about to be in an older ladies' beauty pageant...and set it in Vegas and had a super-superstitious gambler and a clumsy medium who startles herself with her powers and a philandering husband and a closeted gay cop and the triumvirate of retired lady beauty contestants from hell and a dance instructor who'll sleep with anything.

I put a LOT in there to play with, but it also would've relied a LOT on the performances rising to the occasion. Still -- what's the one consistent response I'm told I got? "It's not funny enough." I have a medium whose crystal ball is hidden away behind a panel in the wall, and when she brings it out to "see into the future" it's accompanied by a tinkly version of "I Feel Pretty" from "West Side Story." I have the cop, in his mother-in-law's body, having to deal with not only his father-in-law showing up and wanting to do more than just snuggle, but also the dance instructor getting a crush on him/her and helping in a dance competition that the cop/mother-in-law tries to ruin but winds up winning. Hell, I've got thigh-high go-go boots in it, for cryin' out loud.

BUT...film is a visual medium, right? If it ain't on the page, it ain't on the screen, right? I laugh at this. Ha ha!

And now...let's see just how far I can go with "The Lyons' Den."  So here's the banner.  Got no idea what it means.
Ah, what fools we mortals be.

No comments: