Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Ace is the base

Wasn't there a band named that in the 80's?  Had a couple of hits.  Foreign, right?  I don't remember except I did see a video of theirs prepping the stage for a concert and then the second half being the concert (or combination of concerts) as they sang.

I'm headed to San Antonio for Christmas...on Christmas Eve.  This should be fun.  If the weather permits.  And I can get myself manhandled by a cute screener.  There's one at Buffalo's airport...maybe if I make a reservation...

Of course, it's fun to make light of the encroaching police state tactics being employed all around us -- not just in airports.  Cops use tasers instead of words and wits to take people down, sometimes killing them.  Torture is now an acceptable part of any police interrogation, not just those being done by the CIA and FBI and Army "Intelligence."  Prosecutors use every legal method they can to keep convicts from being proven innocent, especially if they actually are. Corporations control what you read, see, think and hear and how you vote.   And it's all fine with the right wing because they're WASPs and in control and such things will NEVER be used against them or theirs.  Ah, life in America in the 21st Century.

I'm feeling Ace's cynicism, right now.  It filters through me in ways I've yet to understand or even care about.  I hope to have it all out of my system once the story is in its first real draft.  I'm at page 41 of the reconstruct and am up to 31,500 words...so we'll see how it goes.  But right now, all I can say is I'm enjoying the ride.  Ace is such a snot, at times, and the fact that he is and is part of Daniel mitigates the main character's initial wimpiness and gives him time to begin to build into a true leading man.

I don't know if this story counts as experimental...or even if I'm reading too much into it all...but I don't care.  I got hot tea and condescension on my side, so I'm feeling quite British, at the moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too enjoy staying up late drinking hot tea pretending I'm British. The band was Ace of Base never been a real fan but dated someone who loved them.

JamTheCat said...

RIGHT! A goofy little pop group with a sort-of cute male singer and thinks she's cute female singer. Ah, yes...I remember now. They even did that song for "Pretty Woman," didn't that. "Might've Been Love."

Of course, this was during my Enigma and Depeche Mode phase (which I'm still in 20 years later), so I paid minimal attention. Hm...whatever happened to them, I wonder?