Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Snow, snow, snow

That's what it did all day and is still doing.  I brushed 4" off my car this morning; I dug out of 6" more this evening.  Should be interesting to see how much there is by tomorrow.  It was "fun" to drive in.  The last time I did this much snow during a commute was in Detroit, and that was mainly rural-suburbia and I had a huge Pontiac Grand Am to slog through the ice with.  This time, it's my little Honda...but it didn't seem to mind the mush and slow going.  Of course, I didn't make it out of second gear going home.

The one sour note?  I was going to buy some ground beef at this butcher's near me but he'd closed early.  Dammit.  I was planning to make hash for dinner.

Ah...but that reminds me -- cheese soup.

2 cans of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup concentrate (I know, I'm cheating, but I don't care)
2 large tomatoes, diced
4 scallions diced (including the green shoots)
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 cup Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon butter

Mix all the ingredients together along with two soup cans of water and heat over a medium flame, stirring constantly until at a boil.  Then lower heat to a simmer and let cook for ten minutes, stirring things up, every minute.  Serve with crackers.

I've also added a couple tablespoons of Philadelphia Cream Cheese to the mix, but it doesn't melt well with everything else and you're left with white dots in the soup that sort of look unappetizing, even thought they taste great.  Another interesting thing to add is Velveeta.  It also shifts the flavor a little.

Of course, this is VERY rich and will kill any diet you're on...so no dessert if you make this.  Unless I AM taking on the mantle of Marie Callendar, in which case it's all fattening so don't worry about it...and you should have a slice of apple pie to top the meal off.

Apple pie.  DAMN that sounds good.

No comments: