Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Maybe I'm really Dickens

Seems no matter how hard I try to edit my work down, it just gets bigger.  "The Lyons' Den" is now up to 53,500 words.  I may be able to eradicate some duplications in the last 2/3 of the story, but as of now I can't figure out what.  Charles Dickens got paid by the word when he was writing, as did most authors back then; that supposedly is why they were so verbose.  I ain't got that excuse.  I ain't been paid royalties, yet, for one of my books, and the sale of my novella was a one-off payment.

Still...I'm having fun doing it.  And I'm looking into ways to get it published by a more mainstream publisher.  I've also begun looking into writing grants from various foundations and such.  I'm not so sure about writing contests; I submitted "Desert Land" to the one held by "Writers' Digest" and this bleak dark story got judged by a lady who writes honey-sweet books about redemption.  Needless to say, I didn't even get into the top 100.

I know that means I think the story was good enough to win.  Fact is, I KNOW it was.  I'm proud of it.  And I was shocked at its complete dismissal...until I learned just one person decided which stories were acceptable.  That just pissed me off.  So I'm being more careful about those.

If I can, I'm going to see about using grants to pay for a 6 month stay in Derry...but that's just a preliminary goal, right now.  I haven't researched this enough to see if that's even feasible.

So for now I work 3 hours a night on LD and push closer and closer to the end.  And work my brain on how to achieve my dreams.  This may be a fun period.

No comments: