Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Portland is pretty

From what I've seen.  Neat homes.  Green hills.  Mount Hood standing grandly in the background under a semi-overcast sky.  But it's got some weirdness going on here -- like the 5 freeway, which goes from San Diego up to the Canadian border.  It has a drawbridge between Oregon and Washington.  Man, I knew they weren't crazy about each other but to use the Columbia River as a sort of moat with a way to cut off the flow of traffic is a bit much, I think.  But what's worse?  They misidentify their signs.

I was heading down the 5 from Vancouver, Washington and a sign said my exit was 306B.  So I'm looking for 306B but all that comes up is 306 and it doesn't have my street's name on it, just the name of the racetrack near my hotel, and the exit after that is 1.5 miles down the road.  So I had to go down and turn around.  Seems the 306 exit is only referred to as 306B going north, because there's a 306A that goes nowhere and has no exit off the freeway on the southbound side.  Nice of them to say so.  There were others...but that was the most fun.

My plane ride was over 6 hours long, but I had a movie to watch and listened to some music till my laptop's battery gave out.  I don't know what it is about this trip, but I've been losing things.  I left my work cell phone on the plane and had to go get it, then today I left my jacket at the warehouse I was working in.  I think.  It's not in the car and I don't remember taking it anywhere else.  I'll check in the morning.

I'm too tired to continue.  It was a long day and I'm three hours out of sorts.

No comments: