Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Good news on the writing front

My short story, "Desert Land", made it to 2nd place in the Florida Review Editor's Prize.  I'm more than pleased because it is not an easy story to read.  I told it all in first person by an unnamed narrator just as it's happening in a nearly deadpan manner.  It's especially thrilling because Writer's Digest didn't even put it in their top 100 short stories in their competition and other journals ignored it just as completely.  Maybe I finally just hit the right reader, I don't know.  It's all so "roll of the dice" to me.

I'm back in SLC and it's trying to decide if it wants to rain.  After the job was done (early, for once) I ate my lunch by the Colorado River and watched rafters and bicyclists whisper past under a merciless sun.  I had a bandana with me and ice in a cheapie cooler I bought so kept from getting too sunburned by dipping the bandana into the melted ice and rubbing my arms and neck with it.  If I do come here again, I'm bringing a hat, sunscreen #75 and nasal spray.

I'll be working on LD en route home.  I'm changing planes in Phoenix so that means a 4 hour flight so I'm hoping to have an aisle to myself, again.  We'll see how that works.  I've found the flights to Buffalo from Phoenix tend to be packed with Canadians, but maybe since I'm flying on a Saturday, that won't happen.

I'm tired.  That long a drive after being in the sun got to me.  At least my car had Sirrius.  Now if only I could have found a truly interesting station...something like KCRW.

No comments: