Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Another one bites the dust-y books' ends...

Which doesn't make any sense, I know, but I like the rhythm of it.  Anyway, I finished the packing job and came back to the hotel to do some info sharing then went to High Line Park and walked the length of it.  Probably not a smart thing to do since I'd been on my feet all day for the last few days...but it was nice and cool and lovely, and the shifting sidewalk was beckoning me to enjoy the conglomeration of plant life under old and bizarrely new buildings and the birds' nesting sculpture and the views of the river and on and on...so before I knew it, I was at 30th Street, where someone had installed a dozen massive ballon figures in a lot on the street level for adults to play with.  Amazing.

I have to say, this little walk is worth the trip.  I was dog tired by the time I got there and my feet will take a long time to forgive me (I actually have a blister on my left heel; my first in years)...but I wouldn't have missed it.  I took so many pictures, my cameral decided to kill the battery so I have to wait till it's recharged before I can share anything.  Unfortunately, I'm in yet another hotel that does not believe in providing ample electrical outlets; meaning, the camera's plugged in on the other side of the room.

Also unfortunately, I decided to walk over to the Empire State Building and have the fish and chips in The Heartland Brewery.  Their usual chef must have been off because the fish they served me was so damn salty I could barely eat it, and then only after slathering it in malt vinegar.  I know I should have complained, but I was starving by this point so just dug in.  What's funny is, the chips had next to none of the stuff.  Weird.

So now I'm back at the hotel and wishing it had a tub so I could soak.  And tomorrow it's up the Hudson to pick up some books for our courier service.  I'm renting a car for that.  And on Tuesday it's back to Buffalo, where I will find my mail crushed and crumpled.  I forgot to put in a hold at the Post Office and this one guy loves to jam my letters and magazines and Netflix DVDs into the slot so hard, you can barely get them out.  Another reason to get a post box at a UPS store.

Man...it'll be so nice to sleep in, tomorrow.

No comments: