Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Rough job

This packing job had to be done in two days to accommodate everyone's schedules...but it was rough. What was initially 600 books exploded to 1600, many of them small but each still requiring attention. I couldn't start till Thursday and had to be done Friday because the owner of the books is leaving town...for "The Vineyard". So, I slammed it through...and I'm not happy about how the last seven boxes came together.

This always happens -- something appears in the middle of a packing job you've already bid on and rearranges everything. I had that happen at a storage facility, last year, where 1500 books blossomed into 2200, and none of them were small. I ran out of boxes, there, but they had a lot of scrap boxes I could use so that worked out. Still...a 3 day job wound up being a week, because I also had to ferry the books out of one unit and down the hall to another.

Fortunately, on this job I allowed myself a day in NYC...and now I'm so glad I did. I couldn't have faced a plane ride after this day's back-breaking slam. I was planning on going to the Guggenheim...but now I'm not so sure. My back and feet hurt, but a hot bath is running and soaking in that for a while should clarify my brain.

Or not. Right now I don't care.

No comments: