Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Party scene...

Long day, and now I'm dealing with the lovely re-tasting of some god-awful spring rolls at Baltimore's Airport, so I'm just posting something I polished up. Casey takes Adam to Lando's party at his home in Beverly Hills after the movie premier. Still needs work...but it's a start.
---------------------------
INT. LANDO’S HOME - NIGHT

Adam sees Casey sneaking upstairs so focuses on Lando.

ADAM
Good film, tonight, Lando. You and Casey seemed to have true chemistry on-screen.

LANDO
(Australian)
Yeah, chemistry used to be our middle name. I thought you didn’t get to see the show.

ADAM
I...um...slipped in when the guards weren’t looking.

LANDO
Cool.

He starts away but Adam steps in front of him.

ADAM
You were in Ilithium Four, weren’t you? Very interesting film.

LANDO
You saw I-Four?

ADAM
Oh, yes. Loved the book so had to see what was done to...um, with it. Your take on Leopard was...rather unusual.

LANDO
(smiles)
Yeah, they cut out half my lines, but it made a shitload of cash, and it bumped my price up. Now I can dump this place and get something livable.

ADAM
You don’t like it here?

LANDO
It’s a money pit. I got talked into it by my manager. Taxes and crap. But it’s too open. People can find me. I want something up one of the canyons, y’know. Hidden. Even with directions you get lost. That kind of place.

ADAM
Your own cloistered world, eh?

LANDO
Like what you got.

ADAM
Excuse me?

LANDO
Casey said you work with old books someplace in London.

ADAM
Um...yes. Shocking we...um, we’re together, isn’t it?

LANDO
Naw, that’s exactly what I’d expect.

ADAM
Excuse me?

LANDO
Oh...she didn’t tell you why she dumped me, did she?

ADAM
I...I hadn’t asked.

LANDO
It’s ‘cause I started making more money than her. She likes guys she can look down on. Control. When we hooked up, I was on a soap and she was makin’ ten times more 'n me. Then came I-Four and this movie and I got the boot. Word of advice -- when she finally dumps you, don’t get caught dating anybody else till she’s hooked up with a new guy. It’s insulting.

ANGELINA, a gorgeous actress, comes up and hangs on Lando.

ANGELINA
Baby, this is a deadly party.

LANDO
No, shit.
(to Adam)
Remember her?

ADAM
Oh, my god -- you were the Seeress in Ilithium-Four.

ANGELINA
You...saw that movie?
(to Lando)
Doesn't look like a geek

LANDO
Read the book, too.

ANGELINA
Shit, he is one.
(to Adam)
You’re not gonna bitch me out for going topless, are you?

ADAM
-- No. No.

LANDO
Tell you what, baby -- you’re all about goin’ to England, some day, right? Andrew’s from there; talk to him.

ADAM
Adam.

Lando shrugs and heads away. Angelina keeps Adam distracted.

ANGELINA
Andrew Adam. Nice. I’m Angelina.

ADAM
I’m just Adam.

ANGELINA
Wow, you even sound like you’re from England. So what do you do, over there?

ADAM
I -- I’m with a university.

ANGELINA
Oh. Why do you all drive on the wrong side of the road?

Adam sees Lando headed up the stairs.

ADAM
We don’t; we drive on the right. Um, what’s on the first floor?

ANGELINA
What you see. Living room, dining -- .

ADAM
Um, right -- second floor, then.

ANGELINA
Oh, yeah, somebody told me you English guys call the second floor the first floor, which is weird, because where’s the second one?

ADAM
That becomes the third.

ANGELINA
Really? Weird. Now what exactly is a crumpet?

ADAM
An English muffin. Excuse me.

He starts for the stairs but is stopped by a massive guard in a black suit, TITO.

TITO
Upstairs is off-limits.

ADAM
But the girl I came with -- Casey -- my date went up there.

TITO
Only Mr. Grissom’s allowed up there.

LANDO (O.S.)
What is it, Tito?

Lando is at the top of the stairs.

TITO
He was tryin’ to go upstairs, boss.

LANDO
He wasn't invited. Why’s he here?

Tito nods and whistles. TWO OTHER GUARDS appear and rush Adam to the front door.

ADAM
Wait, I came with Casey! You saw me come in with her! She introduced us! What the bloody hell is going on?

He sees Lando smirk after him just before he is tossed outside.

No comments: