Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Like Virgin Atlantic

I usually sit in the back of the plane because there's where you're more likely to get a seat open next to you, and I'd say it works about half the time. It went gangbusters, on this trip. I was sitting in the center row in the next to the last line of seats to the rear of this monster 747, and had two seats open between me and the other passenger. It was great...and the meal was good, too!

Customs was fairly easy. Fast moving line then getting my bag then walking close to a mile to the underground. It took about an hour to get from Heathrow to Wimbledon, and this a nice little area. With a BUSY town center by the train depot. Traffic was a bit backed up at the lights. Didn't help that all the streets are one lane each way...but still...winding streets and large semi-detatched houses all well-kept. Bright sunshine but with a cold breeze.

BTW, when Google says their maps are only to be used as a general guide, they mean it. My B&B was shown to be in the middle of a long block of houses, on the map I printed out; it was on the far corner atop a slight hill. On the other side of the street.

Marple Cottage is a nice B&B, except my room's on the 3rd floor -- their 2nd floor -- and my suitcase weighs 50 lbs. I was .4 kgs under the maximum weight for Virgin to accept the bag. Mainly because I brought paperwork and some packing supplies with me...along with 5 pounds worth of letters and cards to mail in the UK. I'm going back lighter.

Maybe.

Had really good fish and chips at The Hand Racquet Pub...and got a bit freaked out at how an older guy two tables over from me got the beef special...and poured salt over it. Seriously, poured it. Then sprinkled a bit of pepper on. I didn't need any of that on mine.

I worked on OT on the plane, a bit, but spent more time finishing paperwork for the job, tomorrow. Now I'm too dog tired, even though I napped.

No comments: