Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Back to life...

Oh, man...this has not been an easy trip, so far. Working the book fair wasn't so bad, but scrambling to see what friends I could and making time to talk with a guy about writing a book for him and visiting my sister got me so keyed up, I got no writing done. I'm now fighting a nasty headache.

I've also come face-to-face with the fact that I'm a wuss. Case in point -- today before I drove back to LA, my sister in San Diego asked me if I wanted to go for a walk to a drug store and pick up some things she needed. I asked how far it was, and that wasn't but 5-6 blocks, so I said sure. Big mistake.

My sister lives in La Mesa, which has hills. And she took me up one of them. I had no real idea where we were going, so I followed along. Up and up around winding streets under a cloudless sky till we were at the top. She wanted to show me an historical house. Very nice. But by now I'm hot and sweating and my legs are aching, and we have to go down the hill.

Now normally that's not  big deal, but I now have to drive up to LA and hop on a plane to San Francisco, and already I'm not feeling at all clean and fresh. And I've got a headache building and I'm feeling weary and I can't concentrate on anything...and I finally figure out I've got a touch of heat stroke or something. Did I say anything to try and gain control of the situation? No. And I should have, even though said sister can be a pain when challenged.

Now I've got a ton of writing to catch up on and also have crappy WiFi in this Best Western. It keeps freezing up. I'm getting tired of this chain's cheap-assed crap, and tired of the nonsense I let myself put put up with.

No comments: