Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, March 15, 2013

More partying from A65

This is immediately after what I posted, yesterday:
-------------------------------

INT. LANDO’S KITCHEN - NIGHT

A MICROWAVE DINGS. A steaming box of Macaroni and cheese comes out. Casey sets it on a counter. Adam opens bottles of sparkling water. The kitchen is totally decked out.

CASEY
Nice and crusty ‘round the edge.

ADAM
You sure this is all right?

CASEY
Baby, Lando thinks mac and cheese is beneath him. And I don’t think Veronica eats; she just sucks the life out of people. Which is what I caught her doing, couple weeks ago. That was four helpings of lasagne. With meat.

She scoops the steaming food into two bowls.

ADAM
Should we really have come?

CASEY
-- Had to. But it’s done now.

ADAM
Casey, he’s a fool to let you go.

CASEY
Hear me arguin’?

She hands him a spoon. He looks at her...takes it...digs in.

ADAM
God, this is heaven.

Casey nods her agreement.

ADAM (cont’d)
Casey, I -- I have a vague idea of what you’re going through. I lived with a girl for nearly five years. Then we met for tea, one day, and she said good-bye. When I got home, that night, everything of hers was gone from our flat.

CASEY
She say why?

ADAM
Incompatible. You see, I have this habit of losing myself in research, and forgetting things like meet-ups and anniversaries and such.

CASEY
C’mon, was it really that bad?

ADAM
She wanted me tested for autism. Said I’m too easily distracted by minutia...

Adam notices slips of paper on the refrigerator.

Most are notes and dietary information, but one reads --

Meat - vleis; water - vater; come - kohm; house - huis; go - gaan.

ADAM (cont’d)
Is Lando learning German?

CASEY
He was in Berlin, last week, doing publicity. He’s starting a Pacific tour, tomorrow.

ADAM
You’re not joining him, are you?

CASEY
I’m doing the talk shows.

ADAM
Hardly seems fair. The spelling’s off, on these.

He writes -- Meat - Fleisch; water - Wasser; come - kommen; house - Haus; go - gehen.

LANDO (O.S.)
You’re a book guy!

Adam jolts around. Lando’s behind him, holding Tito’s tablet, showing Adam’s university profile.

CASEY
Lando, what the fuck?

LANDO
He came for your book, and you dragged him into our shit? That’s not cool.

CASEY
Oh, Adam, my ex-boyfwiend had his widdle feewings hurted at me seeing somebody else.

LANDO
That’s fuckin’ ridiculous, Casey. You really think people’re gonna believe you went from a guy like me to a dork like this?

ADAM
Excuse me!

CASEY
Looks aren’t everything, baby.

She aims it at Lando, but it’s Adam who flinches.

LANDO
What else do you care about? You and your buddy, Orisi, makin’ like nobody’s good enough for you.

CASEY
So it’s my fault you dumped me for that plastic slut!?

LANDO
I made one mistake! One fuckin’ mistake, and you’re gonna shit all over me for it?

CASEY
I don’t see her shittin’ anywhere else but here!

LANDO
Aw -- of course. That’s it! You’re not over me, yet.

CASEY
Oh, I am -- totally. Here’s proof.

She slings the bowl of mac & cheese on him. He roars! Adam jumps between them.

ADAM
Casey, I think we should leave.

CASEY
You’re right, baby, we -- .

LANDO
No, you and me -- we still got lots to talk about.

He grabs for her. Adam keeps him back.

ADAM
Lando, stop it!

LANDO
Tito!

Tito appears in the kitchen.

TITO
Yeah?

LANDO
He’s not invited.

Tito yanks Adam away. Lando pulls Casey to another room.

ADAM
Just a minute! Casey! She wants to leave with me!

CASEY
Lando, you son-of-a-bitch, tell Tito to let him go or I’m gonna be screaming about how big you ain’t.

LANDO
After this dumbassed trick? Who the fuck’s gonna listen?

The party-goers’ earplugs are in. They ignore the commotion.

ADAM
Bloody hell, leave me alone!

Tito signals TWO OTHER GUARDS -- that rush Adam out the door.

ADAM (cont’d)
Wait -- Casey!

Earth Mother watches it all and sighs.

EARTH MOTHER
Should’ve used stronger cleansing.

She lights another stick of incense and twirls it around.

No comments: