Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Blind as a bat, sometimes...

As I was about to finally drift to sleep, last night, I realized I was missing a huge opportunity in "The Alice '65" -- to explain why the photo paparazzi and the video paparazzi, who serve as a sort of Greek Chorus while stalking Casey and Adam throughout the night, are so focused on my two leads.

In the car en route to Casey's after picking Adam up at the airport, Patricia (Casey's mom) lets loose a massive, profanity-filled tirade against an unnamed photographer over the phone. A tweaking of the first dialogue bit between PP and VP makes it clear the tirade was against PP. And they're hoping to get something legit they can sell...as a sort of revenge.

I also began wondering if I should make Casey older. Right now, she's 25. But if I made her 32, in Hollywood she'd be sliding into TV movie territory from film stardom. Which means a slow downhill trek to the land of the forgotten. And she can sense it. Especially if I make Veronica 23 and Lando not yet 30. Which means making Patricia in her 50s...but that'd be just right for Christine Baranski to play.

Gotta think about this, because it means adjusting Casey's character throughout the script. Hmm...

2 comments:

Michael said...

I was surprised when you said Casey was only 25. Her character seems older and wiser than that.

JamTheCat said...

I'm actually thinking of making her 30 or so and have Lando be younger by a few years. It makes more sense, really...considering how Hollywood is about actresses getting to be that age.