Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Money pits and piddles

I hate money, because it's so damn necessary, in this world...and I'm tired of dealing with it. Whenever something like my car happens...with the dentist costing over $150 and another bill in the mail for $125...it sends me into turmoil and my writing suffers. My characters suffer. And that is wrong.

Zeke and Carli are ready to tell their stories, but I wasn't able to focus on them. So I ignored them like I've done Brendan and Jake...and now I feel like a neglectful parent whose kids just wanted him to see what a wonderful thing they'd done and he'd said, "In a little bit," so many times, they had to go to bed and couldn't show him. And it was too late to make up for it.

It also makes me second-guess my completed work. I had to force myself not to reread "The Alice '65" because in my head it was all messed up and worthless and I needed to see just how bad. And had I looked at it, I'd have torn it to shreds...probably for no good cause.

Fortunately, Russell Tovey popped up in an interview about his new Brit-sit-com (soon to be stolen by a American producer and put on CBS or NBC, I'm sure), and about how he's a gay actor but most of the parts he plays are straight. Which is what I'd love him to do with A65. And my mood got better. It's like he was saying, "Shut the fuck up and trust the story, idiot. It'll be as good as it can be, and you crushing yourself over it will achieve nothing."

(And isn't that an "Adam" kind of expression on his face?)

So I'm back in control...and I'll spend the weekend on CK to get it into shape. Considering I only started it a week ago, I'm doing pretty damn good.

As for money, truth is I've never been been on top of that, and I doubt I ever will be. The only thing I ever learned about it is, if I try to save money I usually wind up spending more.

At least my car's running good, though my savings is back to zero and my credit cards are close to their limit. That's the story of my life.

Isn't it everybody's?

No comments: