Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Scene from CARLI KILLS

Carli's just basically flipped Max off in the middle of the bar and walked out. Zeke is sent after her.
_________________________________________

EXT. CANTINA MADRIZA -- NIGHT

Zeke stops Carli by her car.

ZEKE
Lady, are you crazy?

CARLI
A little.

ZEKE
That guy you just dissed is Max Castillo. You don't wanna fuck with him.

CARLI
I won't. And he knows it.

ZEKE
You don't get it! He wants to know your name, now.

CARLI
I told you -- .

ZEKE
Bullshit. Nobody's named "Anastasia Belasco."

She gets close to him. Turns up the sex wattage.

CARLI
Are you calling me a liar, Zach?

ZEKE
My name’s Zeke.

CARLI
-- JJ told me it was Zachary.

ZEKE
Bullshit -- he doesn’t know that. What's your game?

CARLI
-- Nothing. I -- I just like you. Your type. Max can go fuck himself.

ZEKE
You really don't get it.

CARLI
Don't you like girls?

ZEKE
Drop it. Girls like you don't go for guys like me -- unless you’re slumming.

CARLI
Is that why you're helping him get to me?

ZEKE
What d'you think I am? I’m just warnin' you. He gets weird when he thinks he's bein' dissed. So come in. Have a drink. Make it easy for everybody. Okay?

CARLI
If he's such a jerk, why do you stick with him?

ZEKE
Why're you fuckin' with me? Shit.

He starts away, She grabs his back jeans pocket.

CARLI
Zeke -- I’ll come in if you invite me. For yourself.

ZEKE
Yeah, right. And the second we’re inside, you'll play me in front of him. Won't you?

CARLI
Not if you tell me why you’ve got so many tattoos.

ZEKE
Y’know, you really ought to wait till you know what everything's about before you start pushing buttons.

CARLI
What makes you think I don’t?

ZEKE
You didn't even know my name. And I bet you never heard that the last guy who fucked with Max lost his ears. Me, I like mine where they are. And I like everything about you stayin' where it is. So go get ready for Sunday school, "Anastasia." I'll just -- I'll tell him you were on the rag. That should make it okay.

Carli laughs -- yanks Zeke's shirt open -- writes her phone number around his left tit.

CARLI
Big, bad, protective Zeke. Here's my number. Give it to him, or use it, yourself. See who can handle whom.

She gets in her car. Drives away. Zeke finally grins.

ZEKE
Anastasia Belasco. What bullshit.

He heads back into the bar. Humming.
_________________________________

It's not long but it sets up their relationship -- like a couple of lions in the wild, sniffing each other out.

No comments: