Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Better...

When you have the right tools, you can do a lot more...

This took about 2 hours of light layering in of color, so I didn't get crazy. It's not fantastic, but it works and got the client's okay. Another one I worked on has to be redone from the start. Seems even though I sent in a sketch of the characters I planned to use and got no comment back to indicate they weren't right, when I sent in the color image it got rejected. Not attractive enough. Le Sigh...

The book, The Count of Monte Cristo, is so different from the movie versions I've seen, it amazes me they were willing to call them by that title. I still like both the Robert Donat and Jim Caviezel versions, but neither one did anything more than take the premise and rework it into a Hollywood version of a revenge story. The book goes places even today's movies would dare not tread, let alone movies of the 1930s.

I'd say the Donat version adheres closest to the book's plot, while still taking some serious liberties, and the Caviezel version is closer to its poetry and timbre, though taking even greater liberties. Plus having Guy Pearce as Fernand and Henry Cavill as Albert didn't hurt. I'll have to see the Gerard Depardieu version, sometime, just to compare.

And if you want to know how I'm able to fit in time to read, I do a chapter while taking a dump. Heavy-duty reading for some heavy-duty...well..you know.

But day by day I feel better and better about my own massive style of writing...

No comments: