Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Hollywood is NOT the dream factory...

Nightmare is more like it. Some of the stories I could tell...all without naming names, of course, because then you're liable for slander or something like that.

But that said, I know of a lovely little story about an independent movie being made and the problems that came with the territory. Like...they cast a second-lead actress off an okay TV drama in a key role in the film. It was all, "Love it and can't wait to work with you," until the contract was signed. Then it became, "This dialogue needs work; people don't talk like this," and "No, I have to have my own hairstylist." To name two of the situations which arose.

Ah, and then there was the love scene. "No nudity. I don't do naked." After swearing she had no problem with it. Needless to say, the director was very upset. At least, he thought he was upset. But he was also the writer of the script. And said actress took it upon herself to rewrite everyone's dialogue into the most trite, punch-in-the-face un-subtle wording ever put on the page...and then present it as, "I did a little work; made it better."

And this was before shooting even began. All so very Norma Desmond...though I'm sure said actress would have no idea to whom I refer.

I've heard so many stories like this...and have a feeling I'm about to hear more. Ah, Hollywood, land of the broken fools and crowned asses.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

MAC said...

I'm loving this... I've always had a fascination with Hollywood. I look forward to hearing more!