Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Too pooped to piddle...

The last couple of days have been spent trying to make an impossible situation possible, if not probable. The packing job I'm doing in Chicago has taken on dimensions I was not ready for, and just trying to meet our commitment of a pickup on Tuesday am is going to take me working straight through, 8 hours a day. That's just reality.

Problem is, what do you do when the client rejects reality? Not much you can do short of saying, "So long," and turning down the job. So I'm working my ass off with an associate and getting back to the hotel ready to drop. Not much writing gets done, that way. But this is an important client so we have to handle the job.

Of course, my hotel doesn't have a tub for me to soak in; just a walk-in shower. Dammit.

I did read through some of OT, last night, just to see what's ahead, and I'm finding I set up too much too deeply in the narrative, so far. That'll take some finessing to make right, because what I was aiming for was an ex-gay chauffeur who worked for a disgraced politician being the actual killer. Which seemed a bit too much, even as I wrote it. But I was lazy and just did it as a way to get to the end of the story.

I never should have let that happen.

No comments: