Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Finally...finally...finally...

I've sent The Vanishing of Owen Taylor out to be read and feedbacked on...and if anybody else wants to read it and let me know what does and does not work, and if the revelation of the mystery makes sense, let me know. I'm way too close to the story, right now, to be objective in any way, form, or fashion. I just know Jake's happy with me, again.

I'm not touching the book to do another draft for 6 weeks. I want the distance and to give people time to respond to it. They'll need some time since it is long -- 541 pages and 120,000 words. But I'm at the point where everything in the story needs to be there, as best I can tell. I honestly cannot see cutting anything more, short of a complete subplot.

So now it's time to catch up on paperwork and cleaning my apartment. Start looking into ways to sell my work better. Work on some scripts. Input ideas I've had. Maybe I'll do a rewrite of Carli's Kills just to see if I can keep it low-budget and exploitative enough to get made. I already know who needs to play Zeke...and I seriously doubt he'll mind getting used by an ex-Marine female who only wants him for his body.

Hey, he's the one wants to act in movies, not me. The only difficulty I see is making him into a blond viking with an Odin obsession. I'd already put in he's got tatts all over, from when I was using Logan McCree as the model, and he's missing his right leg, which works in perfectly. Even better, the part's already written to be played half-silently through reactions, so even if he's no good, he can be made to seem good under the right director and editor.

But I've got a feeling he'd be fine.

No comments: