Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, January 4, 2016

Pushing to break the mold...

I'm trying like crazy to keep from falling into my old habits...habits that tended to make it harder for me to complete a project. I've got a solid streak of laziness and apathy in me that has to be beaten down, constantly, or I'd never get anything done. I think it's true of all writers...hell, all artists. Mingle in my own psychoses and I'm amazed I've achieved what I have.

I'm a ten-times better writer now than I was ten years ago, too. And have more confidence in my work than I used to. Not a huge amount more, but enough for even me to notice. Criticism still wounds but doesn't damn near destroy me like it used to. And I can accept that sometimes I don't know it all (hard to believe considering my commentaries on facebook...which is an evil site that drags me away from my work far too often; damn you, Mark Zuckerberg).

Good thing is, I've actually made some money off my books, now that I've self-published 5 of them. Not a lot, but enough to declare as income and write off my expenses...of which there were a lot more than I made. But I don't care, anymore. I'm never going to make back what I sank into David Martin...mainly due to hiring an artist to do the illustrations.

I'm nearly ready to embark on doing it all, again, with OT. Maybe have it out in late February or early March, depending on the job. I'm only slated to travel the first two weeks of next month, so far, so that should give me time to get it going. And I've pretty much decided to work it up in hardcover as well as paperback and e-book. Maybe print some as limited first editions...like #1 of 25, signed. I'll decide that later.

I'll also decide whether or not I want to do some sketches for it like were done for novels in the 19th century. I keep thinking about that and wondering if they would be an asset to the book...but haven't really thought about it, much.

Right now, I just need to make it as tight and solid as I can.

No comments: