Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Feelin' good...

Had a nice long nap in my own bed after a lovely hot shower. Slept longer than I intended so I may not be able to sleep much, tonight, but I feel good, actually. I didn't get to see much of Berkeley, and what I did see wasn't really very interesting, but no big deal. The Bay Area's okay, but not my favorite place; I prefer Seattle.

Since I cannot sleep on a plane -- I can doze, but not well -- I did some work on Underground Guy, cleaning out a lot of detail from the first section and reworking it so there's nothing to distract from Dev's animalistic actions. Just a straight line of this is what he's doing; no explanations, yet, just a hint of description of how he looks. I don't even mention his name until he gets busted by the cops.

I have to admit, I do tend to over-explain my characters in the first drafts...like I'm trying to find them. Then I go back and slice out more and more detail. And sometimes, when I think I've done as much as is needed, I find out I can still do a hell of a lot more. Case in point -- the first three chapters of OT got cut down to about one and a bit of background explanation at the beginning of what is now section two...after my second round of feedback.

Ingram asked for more information on the crappy fourth proof, so I sent it to them. I'm beginning to think it might be a good idea to wipe out the paperback submission I've done, so far, and just start over rather than continuing to try and correct what I'm beginning to see as a corrupted file. Might be simpler, faster and cheaper.

Depends on what happens with the next proof I get.

No comments: