Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Resurfacing...

Okay...I'm getting over my periodic trip to hell and back and beginning to see the possibilities before me, again. The last couple weeks were not good, emotionally or in general, but I'm finally back to Fuck It mode. Didn't take a lot...and it is totally part and parcel of my usual modus operandi. I'm so fucking tedious, at times.

Of course, it didn't help that I had a lovely series of slaps from that beast known as reality. Sales of my books have collapsed. I'm borderline diabetic. I'm about to turn 65 yet still live like a sophomore student in college. My car had issues. And I screwed up an artwork job for a friend. Plus...it's allergy season and Claritin does not help me maintain any balance...though it's not as bad as the rest of the meds for this issue.

So I've done some shifting around in my finances and scheduled in the rest of my summer, almost. I'm headed for Brighton, England on Wednesday to pack a library, coming back Monday. Not much time there but enough to make it a break from the chaos of American life, at the moment. After that is a day trip to Toronto, again, then off to another city I'd never have gone to on my own -- Tallahassee, Florida. There are also 2 potential jobs in the San Francisco area and another possible down the pike.

So...this weekend I am getting back to The Alice 65...mainly to input the red-pen edits I made and bring the story to a better sense of purpose. Remind myself of what's in the story and what're in my notes and see if I can work out the best way to make it a fun but insightful tale about a couple of damaged people inadvertently helping each other to move forward in their lives. If I work this right, I can take off the last half of August through Labor day and really get A65 into gear. I'm finding I need the time blocked out for it over a longer period than every weekend.

Hopefully, I'll get it done and out there before the end of the world.

No comments: