Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Greetings from the future...

Hong Kong is 13 hours ahead, so I'm writing this on Thursday morning while it's still Wednesday night in Buffalo. I feel very prescient...and may I add, comfy. The great thing about Ibis Hotel is, I get breakfast with my room and it is massive. Like the All-You-Can-Eat buffets in the US -- eggs, bacon, 3 kinds of sausage, cereal, oatmeal, baked beans, luncheon meat, cheese, 3 kinds of potatoes, lots of fruit, yoghurt, toast and muffins and jams and on and on. I'm treating it like dinner, since my body clock is still really on US time, and I'm set till this evening.

I've already done some emailing, this morning, and will be leaving for the move-in, shortly. Got a good sleep, albeit on a hard mattress; they like those, here. My only plans, right now, are to get my dealers prepped, drop by in the morning to make sure everything's all right, go to Stanley for fish & chips and a Guinness and some shopping, maybe wander the waterfront...and then spend all day, Saturday, working on A65.

I'm not really joking when I say my first...and second and third drafts wind up looking like this crazy-quilt hare, and that they begin to simmer down as I go through the story over and over and over. That's my method of writing -- throw in everything and work it down and adjust and add and cut  and alter direction until it stops being too insane. As it currently stands, I think I still have one tooth to hone away, and then she's ready.

If I can get all the changes input before heading home, Tuesday, I may try to do some more polishing on the flight. Then comes my own corrections editing process -- reading it backwards so I don't get lost in the story. And then...

Then I can start contemplating work on Place of Safety.

No comments: