Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, December 16, 2017

Got socks and a dock case...

I dislike how my MacBook Pro does not have any serious ports -- no USB, no Ethernet cable, just these insipid little slots for power and a USB extender -- so I ordered a Dockcase. Got it and I now have the equivalent of 4 USB ports and one for an Ethernet cable and some slots I'm not sure what they're for but like the flexibility they offer, if I ever decide to learn about them and use them. It's also a protective cover for the laptop when I'm traveling. The one drawback is, the panel holding all the ports gets pretty warm...almost hot.

I also got 30 pairs of fun socks in dark colors. I'd ordered them from a discount place for a total of $25 and they're all here. 100% cotton, they say, so we'll see how it goes. I feel very wealthy in footwear and electronic extensions.

I worked on UG much of the day, getting to chapter 7, where Devlin is taking control of his situation back from those who've been smacking him around with it. This puts me a quarter of the way through my outline and just under 200 pages. So maybe the story will tap out at 750 pages, or so.

His sister-in-law has shown up, claiming to be in London for a baby shower but really out to find out as much about what's really going on as she can. She used to be a major party girl and has connections Devlin can't even image exist. She's also proven that she's a tigress when it comes to protecting her family, and she doesn't want Dev's mess to destroy their company.

I'm having a blast with this. Even threw in an Andrea Dworkin reference, where a woman says she's glad men are being raped and murdered instead of women, for a change, because then it might make the system of justice put some real teeth into the rape laws. Pretty bloodthirsty...but part of Andrea Dworkin's writings are that sex is rape against women, even consensual sex...hell, even gay sex between men. Her attitude seems to be that a man is using a man as a substitute for a woman, so in effect he's having symbolic sex with a woman and since sex with women is rape, to her...it's weird and I know I don't understand the subtleties of it, but I don't care.

I'm having fun.

No comments: