Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, December 17, 2017

I love staying home...

I haven't been to the office since Wednesday, last week. Thursday was NYC but Friday-Sunday was staying home and working on UG, and I feel so happy and relaxed, right now. I'm even casual about the work I'm doing on UG because I know it's just a first draft. There'll be some major changes in it, once I have the story down and begin rewrites, but that's to be expected, the way I work.

The only thing I did was laundry and groceries, today, because both were desperately needed. But I still worked on UG at the laundromat and when I got home. I'm at a point in the story where it's moving a bit faster, and could come in at 600 pages. I'm also beginning to wonder if I should cut a character whose story is not as joined to Dev's as the others.

I'm at the point where Dev has learned Tawfiq, an Arab man he connected with in London, knew one of the murder victims and he's trying to figure out what this means. But first he has to have dinner with his sister in law and lay out what's going on with the local police and his arrest...and she notices he's begun to drink like his father.

This was changed from him explaining to her about another guy -- Ryan Oriaggio, in Chicago. It was a good 10 pages long...and didn't work there, so I shifted it to another file and let Diana, the sister-in-law, come down hard on Dev and his ways. She even tells him he's getting help or she'll help put him in jail. All of which adds to the chaos in his mind.

It's still clumsy but works as a place-holder. And it adds to a sub-plot about second chances. So now I don't know if Ryan's bit fits, anymore...considering the direction the story's taking. But that's half the fun, I guess, working it out.

You never know where the paths will lead...if you let them carry you forth.

No comments: