Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Regrouping...

I had to go back an extra chapter and do some rearranging there to set up the problem one better. That took all evening, but now it's working. Devlin and Diana have dinner in a pub and talk about his situation, and he unloads on her, and she lets him know she's pissed as hell about it. She even tells him to find a psychiatrist and get help.

She also points out that he's going to jail if the situation doesn't change. The Metropolitan Police want to save face after he messed up their operation, and an American politician is gunning for him by pushing the FBI to investigate his actions in the last few years, and has put him on the No-Fly list. She's only helping him because he's her husband's brother and the best way she has to protect her husband from this mess -- is to help Dev.

This spurs Dev to action. He now sees the only way he can change the course of his life is to find the killer, and he thinks that since he's gay he might have a better insight as to what makes the guy so hate-filled. And that is what leads him to begin to think everything is too clinical in the murders. Too precise and exact. Too deliberate...leading him to wonder what's really going on. This is page 217 of the story -- 12 point Courier, double-spaced -- and the beginning of Chapter 8.

Now it's 11:15 pm and I'll be lucky to get to bed by 1am...but I feel better about the story and may have shortened it a little bit more. And I'm sure I've repeated myself a bit too much. It's my hope to keep the story to about 600 of these pages, which would translate to about 325-330 pages of a paperback. I just have to stop falling in love with my words.

Oh...but I like them so...

No comments: