Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Reworking my way through, again...

So I completely redid my ending for Underground Guy, simplifying the overly complex back and forth I had and tying Dev's craziness into it. I may have dropped it down to 450 double-spaced pages and about 105,000 words...but we'll see how verbose I get once I'm writing it.

Devlin's character arc isn't completely set, yet, but that's workable. Once I get this first draft done, I can start rearranging his details to make his growth more consistent and, hopefully, less predictable. His attempt to get Reg into bed backfired completely, on him, so that's one step in the process. And there's a story Reg needs to tell Dev to let him see what's really going on that had to come later...but I'm still structuring that.

Overall, this is just going to be a piece of erotic gay mystery lit, more-so than The Vanishing of Owen Taylor. That book doesn't have much detailed sex in it, except for one part near the end, where Jake's about to get killed while he's stoned out of his mind. I'm really proud of that whole sequence, but so far no one's mentioned it...

No, I shouldn't say that. One of my readers said he hadn't been surprised by a rape scene in years, but that one did it. And another was surprised at who the killer turned out to be, so I guess I did an okay job with that one. Too bad it's not selling better...but I've done everything I can think of short of taking out high-priced ads in magazines to get it notice.

UG will probably sell well because of the sex. And The Alice '65 is mainstream enough to where anybody might be interested. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Then comes my Irish novel in a Russian style...

No comments: