Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Closer...

I did another soft polish on The Alice '65, including changing the last line because it felt wrong. Tacked on. Going through it, this time, I realized I'd been missing a great moment between Adam and his father that I could tie back into, about Adam eventually finding someone he loved while his older brother, Connor, would not. Connor's too locked into superficial things while Adam uses reading to open windows into new worlds for himself.

I also removed a couple more moments of unnecessary repetition, which tends to make things stronger. Right now, the book is 65,500 words, still, but when put into Times New Roman type it's under 200 pages, even when there's 1.5 spaces between lines. It should wind up being a nice light book to read, quick and easy...I hope.

I learned today that Louis Collins, who had a book shop in Seattle and ran the Seattle Book Fair, was hit by a heart attack, yesterday, while walking his dog. He died before he go to the hospital. This is rough. He's the guy I always dealt with when in Seattle, very calm and even keeled. He loved books and getting them into the right people's hands, and he'd been consolidating his shop with the assistance of Bill Wolfe, whom we've used to do some packing jobs in Seattle. Louis will be much missed.

Several members of the antiquarian trade have died, recently -- Bill Daily, Charlie Cox, Fred Bass...I guess it should be expected since all were well up in age, but it's still not easy to deal with. The only positive thing about it is, it makes me want to work harder to meet my goals. Louis seemed to be in good shape...better shape than me. You never know when you're leaving this world, so stop dilly-dallying.

Words to kick you in the ass by.

No comments: