Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Zeroing in...

Okay...here we go...
I'm liking this layout for A65 more and more. I tried it with the book at an angle and Casey more upright, but it was hard to read the title on the real Alice's spine. This version just feels better, though it still needs cleaning up and maybe a bit of adjustment in the spacing. I also think I may have a bit too much room at the top...but I'll think about that tomorrow.

This work took most of the evening. Doesn't help I'm working on my old Mac Mini. It's a good little computer but it's struggling to handle a file this size. Right now, in Photoshop psd, the image is just under 200 megs...which isn't all that big, these days. But I've had this little beast for 12 years, so...

I was thinking of asking another antiquarian book dealer to read the story and give me feedback on the archivist aspect, to make sure Adam's right and proper, but it's getting into book fair season. We start picking dealers up for the San Francisco Fair and Miami Map Fair, next week, then comes the big boy -- Pasadena -- the following week. No one will be able to focus.

I just don't want to send the story out thinking I know everything I  need to know about archiving and researching rare volumes only to find I made a stupid assumption and everyone thinks I'm an idiot. That would hurt the book and I want anything but that, right now. I've worked too hard on it.

This may well prove something I always say about myself -- that I know just enough about something to get me into trouble.

No comments: