Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, February 2, 2018

Ch-ch-ch-changes keep coming and coming...

Instead of flying to Miami on a daytime flight, I'm headed over on tomorrow night's redeye. Again. My boss's flight from London was delayed by hours so he wouldn't have landed until the dealers were slated to have been moved out from the book fair's venue...so I get to handle them. Such a pleasure.

I don't really mind; I now have justification to get an even-more-space seat on JetBlue so I can work on A65. I got the last set of notes from a British book dealer and hers were golden. For example, I thought archivist and cataloguer were used interchangeable in the antiquarian world, but it turns out that's mainly the American side; in England, Adam would be a Rare Book Librarian or Cataloguer, not an archivist. So that's getting changed.

She also raised issue with my use of commas...as in, I'm too prone to them. I can see that; I do use the Oxford Comma and can be absolutely Victorian in how I slam them in wherever I want a pause of hesitation or change in thought. I'm not as bad as Dickens, but still...it's too much and if cutting some helps the flow, I'm all for it.

So I've gone through and corrected the first four chapters, and once I'm done with this pass I'll go through once more...then that should be it. I'm debating having another person proof it...someone who hasn't seen the story yet...but I'll wait till I'm done to decide.

I spent a good portion of today plotting out a couple more packing jobs and finalizing the one I have in NYC, next week. I've been asking for several days for some information and didn't get it till 4:30 pm New York time so had to scramble to handle it. I almost went to do the Alcatraz tour but just before I bought my ticket is when I learned I had to change my travel plans, and then the rest of the day was gone.

Oh, well...it was just something to do...

No comments: