Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Always good to ask...

I got an email back from Smashwords in response to me querying them about the epub problem...and it turns out the fix was quite simple. Epub doesn't like you to use capital letters when setting up bookmarks for hyperlinks. So I went through, redid all the bookmarks in lower case letters, relinked them...and it went through. Zing. I had no idea this was a requirement. Oh, well...The Alice '65 is now available in every ebook format there is, and that's what counts.

I tried a few more fixes for that dead flash drive -- plugging it into a couple of PCs at work, and it almost fired up, again, then found a data recovery service and sent it off to them for evaluation. In Florida. I'll find out in a week to 10 days if they can do anything...but if it's dead, it's dead and that is that. Dammit.

I may stop at Office Max en route home, tomorrow, and buy a memory card to back up all my thumb drives. I already do a lot of overlapping when it comes to saving things, but now I'm totally paranoid and want a couple of different ways to protect myself and my data.

On another good note, I got my LCCN back from the Library of Congress, so tomorrow I'll get David Martin set up with Ingram...and then I can shift focus to P/S. All I have left to do is the layout of the cover, which I've already got half done.

I was lucky and found a lot of images for P/S on an old thumb drive from 2010 as well as the one from 2012, and I still have the CDRs and zip disks I stored things on prior to the drives. They may be needed.

Sometimes it pays to be a packrat...

No comments: