Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Have to keep reminding me...

This is going to be a long haul...and the more I dig into what I've got and what I think I had, the more sure I am I'll be working on this book for the next 15 years. I've got to go through every single Word doc I have because while most of it's repetitive, some of it's not and is bits I need or want or have an idea will help...and some of the bits I remember writing, I can't find so have to dig even more into my trove of thumb-drives to seek out.

Well...I never have been very organized. Hell, the fact that I can find anything is often a miracle. The positive thing is, I've learned the jail on Crumlin Road, in Belfast, is now a sort of museum. It's got me wanting to go back to Belfast to look into it, because in the last section of the book, Brendan is taken there for interrogation by the British.

I keep halfway wanting to shift this book into third person, in its telling, but Brendan doesn't like that. "It's my blood, my story, no one else's, and what people glean for the lives of the other people I know is up to them...but it's filtered through me." I have to honor that. If I don't, it'll be crap.

I joke about this being my Russian novel, but I'm beginning to see it probably will be...in size and form. Dunno about depth, yet. There's a lot that can't be...or isn't being said, in the open, but is still trying to be known. And the new ending...the ending Brendan's brought to me, recently...is still spooking me. I haven't touched it, yet, except to make notes.

Of course, this is a two-way street, with him. He wants to screw with my brain? I'm gonna mess with his. See how he likes it.

So tell me, do I sound psychotic, yet?

No comments: