Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, July 23, 2018

BritBox is on my shit list...

After working all day on my apartment and paperwork, I decided to binge-watch the 4th season of Shetland as I prepped some magazines to donate. It's a murder mystery set in the Shetland Islands of Northern Scotland. The landscape is amazing and the acting top-notch. A couple of the mysteries in the first season were dumb, and I don't have access to 2 and 3 without paying Amazon for them, but this series looked pretty good, and was...until I got to what I thought was the end and found out it was only the 4th episode; there are two more...and they don't tell you that.

If I'd known, I'd have watched one of my DVDs instead. Shit. That really pisses me off because I now want to know what happened, but it seems only Amazon offers them on their video streaming service, for $1.99. I don't want to do business with that fucking company, and I'm adult enough to know it's just a work of fiction so I can walk away from the ending, but the way BritBox didn't bother to at least inform the viewer up front in practically insulting.

Hell, I could even have settled in and worked more on A Place Of Safety or Underground Guy and had as much fun (well, at least not been pissed off, like this). Makes me leery of the rest of their lineup. Do I have to check with IMDb every time I think I want to watch something on their channel, just to verify they've got everything? Why bother? Oh, well...another life lesson learned...that I've had to learn over and over and over -- check everything; trust nothing, completely.

I'm rearranging my apartment, in steps and stages. Getting rid of as much crap as I can. I've posted a few things on ebay for sale to see if they'll bring anything in, and have more to offer. I'm also giving away things I don't think are worth much. I won't part with gifts; that's rude. But I've already freed up 2 shelves worth of crap, giving a bit more space to spread out.

Part of what I'm getting rid of is my Alfred Hitchcock collection -- DVDs and books. He's the one who got me interested in film, which turned out to be a big mistake. Now that I'm done with it, after far too long, it's time he was removed. Other DVDs are going, as well. I have a lot that I've seen and don't want to see, again.

My main focus is elsewhere, now...

No comments: