Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, November 3, 2018

Closing in on 7000 words for DW

I'm slamming through to get this shifted into narrative format from screenplay, and along the line finding aspects of the story I had neglected. For example, I make minimal reference to Dair's brother, Gareth, who also owns a ski lodge. His wife's born-again and hates having Dair anywhere near her. That's all I do with them in the script, but that's ludicrously simplistic. So I'm digging in deeper to them.

I remembered I based her on the wife of a cousin of mine in Pennsylvania, and how she'd glared at me with barely controlled anger when I entered their home. She'd just found out I was gay and she wouldn't say a word...just glared. I was still shaken up by the family's attitude about me, so I only backed away and damn near called a cab to take me to the airport, right then. I had a feeling things weren't going to wind up well...and sure enough, that side of the family cut off contact with me. All but one female cousin, and she killed herself a few years later, leaving a son to their tender mercies.

I didn't see most of them again for 25 years, and then only because my aunt invited them over to her place when I'd gone down to visit her, after my mother died. I'd asked her if I could just see her...I had things to give her...and wound up not doing so. They all talked like nothing had happened, and I was able to spend a whole 10 minutes alone with my aunt. Haven't seen them since.

I visited her twice more, when she was dying, and managed to miss all but one cousin's husband. He's the one who let slip the boy left behind had died, a year earlier, and refused to tell me what happened or where is body was or anything. I still don't know.

I'm working some of this into DW now. It's reality, still, for too damn many people in this world. I've given Gareth and his wife 3 daughters, so it's not a fear of Dair molesting their children that gives them an excuse to cut him off. And I'm going to have Adam tell about that, not Dair...to anyone.

I'm also digging deeper into Adam's past. I made a couple of references to his parents disowning him and his brother not being nice, but I can go whole hog, now. Find out why he left home...if he was kicked out or ran away. How he survived, in either event. Make him harder. Edgier. More in need of love...which means he'd appreciate getting it from Dair and Marion even more.

I should never have been writing screenplays; I don't know how to fill one with background like this...

No comments: