Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, November 12, 2018

I'm writing myself out...

One thing about pushing to write during National Novel Writing Month is you wind up drained by the end of the day and nothing is left. Today I just coasted but still did a fair amount. I'm up over 21,000 words but they're aren't of any quality. Just place-holders for ideas I have brewing.

I need to understand something more about Dair if I want Dair's Window to work. He's too even, right now...a bit bland for an artist. He's got a temper but only when being bullied or pushed over his gayness, so it doesn't count. I need to understand why Adam meant so damn much to him...and there's no question something more than just love is going on here.

The question the story first emphasized is, How do you rebuild your life after your soul mate dies? Well, why is Adam Dair's soul mate? I don't know that, yet. I thought Dair was talking to me but he's only chatting in vague terms. I wonder if it has something to do with why his father left the house to him instead of his brother. Or why he went away to college and then spent 2 years in Europe rather than return home.

Right now, Dair's sister-in-law, Caroline, is revealing more about herself than he is. She's one of those sweet to your face people who stabs you in the back the first chance she gets. It's her way of showing she has some meaning in the world, which is pathetic but I've known people like that. I've known people whose sole purpose is to use and hurt others, like they're out to make themselves feel superior to others. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that's what comes across.

With Dair, however...he's a creator, not a destructive force. He's a protector not a user. Does he think Adam needs protection? Adam doesn't see it that way, but maybe he does. Is Dair the kind of guy who needs someone to need him? I can't see that working in this relationship dynamic. Adam becomes Dair's protector, really. So why is it working out that way?

Crap, the more I write on this story the more question I have about it...

No comments: