Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, November 1, 2018

NaNoWriMo begins...

Here we go -- I'm going to do what I can to change DW from a script to my latest book...and it's already proving interesting. All the bouncing around I've been doing on it should make for a read that's at least fun to follow if not necessarily coherent. I've posted over 2000 words and will push to get it done ASAP. I'll also be pushing to get UG set and then comes pushing to get a first draft of APoS...yeah, not expecting much from me...

I've gone back through the outline for DW and added in beats I want the book to reveal. And I will be bouncing back and forth between Adam telling the story from the grave, and it being told in third person omniscient. I'm opening the story with Adam talking about their last day together and how they met, ending the chapter with him revealing he's dead.

Then shifting to Dair in current day prepping to marry Wallace, all in third person with memories flitting into his consciousness. Not sure how this is going to work through the whole book; it may wind up being an exercise in stupidity and confusion...but one has to try.

I thought about watching A Single Man to see if there are any similarities that need to be watched out for, but what I read about it indicates not. That movie's about a man preparing to kill himself after his lover's heath...and is set at a time when being gay was considered a mental illness. My setting's current day, except for the moments with Adam, and there ain't no suicide anywhere near it. I'm even putting in having Marion ask Dair if he's planning to do something stupid, at the end, and have him say, "I'll be damned if I wind up another sad dead faggot for those assholes."

He got attitude, Dair does, when confronted; it's when he's left alone that he's got issues.

No comments: