Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Chicago is crazy...

Supposedly, this is a city that works...but I wonder in what way. When I arrived at Midway, I went to the El to get a ticket. They offered a 3day ride but gave no price for it. I knew I'd be taking the train to and from Midway and at least one bus trip, so I got one. I don't know how, but I wound up with 6 at $20 each and no way to get a refund.

Bt if I'd known a three-day ticket was that much, I'd have bought a single round trip.

The hotel I'm staying in is nice and close to the job...but it has no AC. Fortunately, this is not summer in Chicago, which can get damned hot...but there's nothing about that on their website, and there was nothing else available on a Saturday. Hell, I was lucky to get this room.

Then it poured down rain when I was at dinner, so I hopped a taxi to go to my backup hotel (I had to get two separate hotels for Saturday night, since I had a helper coming to work the job with me; we're both in the same hotel from Sunday night). I told him the address and that it was a Travelodge. He took me to a Holiday Inn, which was a mile away. He apologized and didn't charge me any extra for going to the right hotel, but it was irritating.

Of course, this was all on top of a massive drama on Friday, when my packing materials weren't delivered because the freight elevator in the building had broken down, and even though I'd called several times to see how the progress was on the delivery, and each time was told it would be brought back no later than 5, it never was delivered.

The freight company agreed to deliver it Saturday morning, for another $95.00.

However, today went well. It didn't start to rain till we got the location, and everything was ready to go. Packed 32 cartons, today, and had a nice lunch at a Belgian restaurant.

And this was the view from our work room, as it kept pouring down...

No comments: