Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, May 23, 2019

First run of A65 read right...

I got the audio for my version of the beginning of The Alice '65 and it sounds 1000 times better than that guy who was handed the pages and told to read. Carrie Armstrong did it and it sounds a lot more polished. She skips words here and there, and her British ebbs and flows when speaking the dialogue, but those are minor issues that can easily be corrected. I think. Guess I'll find out.

Still...the story flows with her reading. No stumbling over awkward words. Good readings on most moments. A kindness to her voice that is part of Adam's makeup. I really like it. I'm going to work up visuals to compliment this reading, as best I can.

I didn't get any done during this trip. Everything took longer than anticipated and I found myself getting tired by the end of the day. I'm going to start doing some kind of physical activity to try and rebuild my stamina...and lose some weight...and I'll have a good three weeks here to get started on it. We start picking up US and European book dealers on Wednesday, next week, for the London Book Fair, AKA: Firsts...and I'll be the only one in the office for 10 days. So no travel jobs.

I missed out on one in Fairbanks, Alaska. It really wasn't big enough for me to do, cost effectiveness being the main issue, but I've never been to that state and would love to have gone. Same issue for one in the wilds of Oregon, though that one also had a solid deadline I couldn't have made, anyway. I'm not available to go traveling till the 17th of June and they want it on-hand by the 11th.

I did enjoy where I was packing, in Chicago. Great view of Michigan Avenue and Lake Michigan. The first image is from when a rain storm blew in. The second, an hour later...
Proving the old saying about Texas weather -- that if you don't like it wait a while and it'll change -- is true for everywhere.

No comments: