Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, May 4, 2019

No more whining...

This is what I did, today, and damn near screwed it up, I was so focused on not doing so. Paranoia and fear will mess with you, like that...but so will being overly precise. I was shadowing in Adam's chin...and shadowing and riffing and using brown then terra cotta then peach then flesh then brown, all nice and light...and it got to be too dark; looked like a beard that was half shaved off, so I erased it and all that did was smudge everything and freak me out.
 So I took a walk and came back and erased some more and recolored it and it turned out all right. It's still on the light side, image-wise, but it's workable.

I'm not spraying fixative on any of the images till I'm done with them all, because I'm finding little changes to make in each frame that helps tell the moment better as I go along...like adding a book to every one of them, somewhere. But it means I have to be careful with them so I don't smudge the graphite pencil I'm using to outline and shadow with. And that stuff does love to smudge.

Adam also needs to stand out a bit more. Or maybe not. I'll decide later. I do know I need to do something to separate his satchel from his mackintosh; darker brown don't make much difference against brown. And the old lady's too washed out. She looks more like a Victorian ghost than Adam's boss, Vincent, does.

Here's something weird -- as I'm writing this, I'm finding grammar-check is handing out wrong information.  When I wrote the old lady's too washed out it told me too should be to, and that's completely incorrect. It also gets it's and its confused all the time. If I wasn't sure about my use of conjugations and basic English grammar, I'd be making changes that made no sense.

So...my thought is -- AI is fucking with us...

No comments: