Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, May 10, 2019

Recharging batteries...

Took the night off. Bought myself some new bandanas. Tried to have fish and chips at Wegman's but didn't; I really used to like theirs but they've changed how they work them and it's just not right, so went for BBQ, instead. Then came home, made tea and watched two more episodes of Sense8 as I ate a banana.

The storyteller in me gets irritated at the casual attitude to consistency and reality, even in the universe they're building. And I've always been dismissive of how much damage people seem to take in a fight and still keep fighting. That gets ludicrous more than once in this program, especially when there's a huge gunfight and no cops show up to stop it or arrest anybody. Breaks my suspension of disbelief.

BUT...I am finally buying into most of the characters. Brian J. Smith is beginning to find some depth in Wil Gorsky that isn't just in the script. I must be getting used to Jamie Clayton's dead voice because she's not as grating, but she cannot act except at one level. I'm not sure why they changed actors for Capheus, though I get the impression the first one might not have been willing to go as far as they wanted in the orgy scenes...and those do happen, now and then.

I'm still locked in on Max Riemelt as Wolfgang, and he is running circles around them all in the acting and charisma departments. The next-closest is Doona Bae as Sun Bak, the Korean woman who sacrifices herself to save her father's company only to be betrayed by her brother. She brings a lot of depth to her impassive expressions.

I've got 9 more episodes to go and maybe a finale...not sure about that. The last episode is 2.5 hours long so that might be it. But watching this has broken my self-flagellation cycle over the wasted artwork. I can see what I need to do, now, to continue the emotional connection of the frames and will get on it, tomorrow. In fact, I'm looking forward to working up the sketch and coloring it in.

Though I am almost wishing I'd found out about Max and used his face for Adam...but then, who'd believe him as a nerdy cataloguer? It'd be like when Audrey Hepburn pretended to be a Cockney guttersnipe in My Fair Lady and you just knew she was only biding her time until she could be the lady, again.

But then...Max might have the chops to pull it off.

No comments: