Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Whiplash...again...

Well...I worked half the day on building the best replacement for my discarded frame, and it was looking nice. I finally honed in on Adam heading for the gate to Merryton College, hemmed in by gray walls with there being brightness and colors beyond, and blue skies, and the chapel that his office is in with its stained glass windows...and OMG it was so...so...boring.

I'm a visual person. I used to do storyboards and even my crappiest straight pen to paper ones were more exciting than this thing. It's like the difference between a huge, star-studded Hollywood EPIC weighted down by its grandiosity as opposed to a nice, neat movie about a guy who goes through a life-changing event...think Ben-Hur instead of Marty.

And yes, I know -- it's rather grandiose of me to use that comparison, but that's how it feels. And gots lots of feels, right now. Because I can see where I'm limiting the project. It's going to take too long for me to work up 80 colored frames, so I'll just do 20 or so. And the colors have to be just right. And Adam has to have a consistent look and I want to jam as much into each frame as I can...and if the reading goes for 10 minutes, that's providing 2 whole frames a minute.

Why would anyone want to watch and listen to that? I couldn't watch the whole reading done by those idiots in Toronto because it was focused on one man (who had difficulty speaking the words, sometimes). What I was planning to offer wasn't much better. Well, the reading, itself, would be...

ANYway...I'm rethinking my strategy. Thinking maybe I should storyboard it like I do a film. Put in motion and lots of cuts and all that movie stuff. Give it life, even if it's just in pen & ink...or pencil. Break free from my chains of grandiosity.

So...just how obnoxious do I sound, now?

No comments: