Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Burren

I rented a car intending to drive to a place near
Ennis that had a rebuilt "crannog," an artificial island
that served as a protected dwelling for the Celts. But
the opening had been postponed till after I was slated
to return to the US, so I drove around the Burren,
instead, and somehow found my way to this 5000
year old burial monument called Poulnabrone Dolem,
in the middle of nowhere.

It's off a narrow road with no signs to speak of
and no place to park except on the shoulder. I
actually drove past it and only stopped when I
noticed it in my rear-view mirror.

I then drove through The Burren...


...and back to Galway, where I spent the night.


The next morning, I caught a ferry to Inish Oirr,
the smallest of the Aran Islands.

The crossing was light and easy. This photo is
taken from the island. In the distance, you can
see the Cliffs of Moher.

No comments: