Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

A better end to the day...

...yesterday. After chewing up my morning with mom, I finally wrote up a sign that said, "I'm working, please do not talk to me." And she didn't. She stayed in her room and sorted through the piles of paperwork she has that she never gets done with, and I had hours of peace...and now I'm up over 40,000 words.

I did more on the Houston part, expanding the opening to bring Brendan into line with his new environment. It's interesting, but I was going to have his aunt and uncle be solid middle class. Uncle Owen owns an Irish pub and Aunt Mari takes care of their three kids and they have a decent old house in the Neartown section of the city...but that shifted to a complete contrast with Brendan's life in Derry. Now his uncle owns several bars and they have a house adjacent to River Oaks (Houston's version of Beverly Hills) and their oldest son is Brendan's age and has his own car and they're very upper middle class. Which will be fun to play with.

Once I'm done with this draft, a lot of corrections will need to be made to continuity...except in the emotional context. I think that's playing out just right.

No comments: