Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Busy morning

The writing/storyboarding job I landed is a bit more complicated and precise than I initially thought it would be, but I should be able to get done with it more quickly than I figured. So far I've been lost in research into the non-profit organization the piece will be for, meaning no writing on POS, yesterday...and probably none today. But if I can get a first draft done of the script for them to see by tomorrow morning, I'll be days ahead of my perceived schedule and can return to work with Brendan.

Last night I did go through the chapters I've written and put them together to see what I've really got and not just think I have -- and I'm back to being about half done. I've only got one bit of 1968 worked up and there's still the Civil Rights marches being attacked, the RUC riots that brought in the British troops, how the troops began taking the side of the Protestant majority, internment and Bloody Sunday followed by Operation Motorman (all will be explained in the book). Sprinkled into this will be the Celebration Fleadh and Brendan meeting Joanna and his growing relationship with her, him and his buddies playing around and having fun and him being kicked into the conflict thanks to Joanna's brother's opposition to her seeing a "bloody Taig."

And that's just the first section of the story. I have almost as much to do in the Houston section, but only half that to do when Brendan returns home. This is why writers keep bibles on their characters, to remind themselves of how much it takes to build a life.

I've found a phrase I'll be repeating throughout the story, albeit in various and sundry ways...and hopefully that will tie into the ending to make it stronger. Dunno, yet. Won't know till probably the third or fourth draft.

Back to the job. I've piles of information to go through.

No comments: