Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, November 16, 2009

I have no idea...

...how long "Place of Safety" will be, anymore. And I don't care, because yesterday I reached the point where I'm enjoying the journey. I sat down at my laptop intending to tone down Brendan's health problem in the 1st third of the book and wound up just reworking it to where it helps him gain an idea of what he wants to do with this life that segues into a midnight discussion with his older brother about hopes and sex and possibilities...and I just let it go on till it was done.

I love it when moments like this pop up. Gentle talks between people who care for each other...or even confrontations between those who despise one another...that reveal ten times more than I expected. And I've had it happen a couple of times already in this story without really noticing it; like the sequence I posted on NaNoWriMo -- that was one of them but all I really saw was the reconnection between two lost people who've changed dramatically. In reality, it let me see just how much Brendan's drifted into cynicism and anger while Joanna's clung to hope in spite of everything, which may make the ending even more powerful. It showed me just how much I want this story to be as real and human and honest as it possibly can be, but without the bleakness some writers feel they have to maintain so as not to lessen the "meaning" of their tale.

As of now, the only reason I'm counting words is to fulfill the challenge (37,013). The pressure is dismissed. POS will be done when it's done; all that matters is the journey.

No comments: